Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Test the Technique - Glitter and Embossing Powder

Another discussion on Splitcoaststampers about how to get glitter to adhere.  I have always pointed people in the direction of Gina K's tutorial because I trust Gina.  I really do.

I decided it was time to put my money where my typing fingers are and test the technique.

I started with an extra die cut I had.

I inked it by pressing it into my Versamark pad making certain it was really covered.



Then I ensured both the tops of my detail clear embossing powder and glitter were removed. I knew I need to act fast to get the coverage I wanted.  I covered with the embossing powder and put the excess back in the jar and covered it.  




Then I went ahead and put my glitter on my paper in a thick mound.




I heated the embossing powder and put it in the glitter. It mostly covered.  So I tried to reheat it and didn't get a reaction so I reinked it with the versamark and more detail clear and dunked it again and really pressed it in the glitter.  Then I left it.




I went back and re-inked it with Versamark and covered it with the detail clear and let cool to seal the glitter.  Very little is coming off now.  I mean scrub it and maybe one little bit is coming off, so I am very very very Happy with this technique and will definitely use it again.




I did get some glitter on my Versamark pad.  I used some masking tape and lightly dabbed it over the surface to collect up the glitter on the pad. 

Hope this helps those looking to get glitter to stay on.

I may try to stamp an image and see how it works that way.  I think with clear stamps and/or a stampamajig there is no reason why someone can't get really good coverage and seal the glitter in with this method.

No comments: