Thursday, April 2, 2015

A Mad Tea Time Birthday!


So my goddaughter's birthday required a special card as she became a teenager!  I had noticed at Christmas that she was hinting toward an Alice in Wonderland themed birthday so when I found this image at Saturated Canary I just had to work with it.  I took the color theme from Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" and the overall eclectic appearance of the Mad Hatter.


Once I finished coloring her I decided I needed to card it up and where would I put the sentiment?  Again I took inspiration from one of the close up Mad Hatter movie poster which had hats repeated in the background. I decided to repeat "Happy Birthday".  So I masked my image with rubber cement, or thought I had, and let it dry. Then I airbrushed in the greens and pinks.  After that I used my MISTI to repeatedly stamp over the image to get the background completely confident that I had masked my image.



I rubbed off the mask and I should have taken a picture.  She had "Happy Birthday" written all over her in the strangest of places!  Luckily I had already printed off a second image so I colored in the image again and fussy cut for dimension.  I probably should act like that dimension was all planned but I really think it is important to acknowledge how to save your work and when to call it quits.  I was ready to declare this a successful save when I dropped the pen I was edging the 2nd piece with and left a blemish on her face.  YIKES! Will the disasters ever stop?!  Thus she gained a pearl beauty mark!  Of course this is just between us and if anyone asks it was all planned! 

Ingredients:
Card Size - 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in
Cardstock - Neenah Classic Crest Solar White Smooth; Recollections: Black;
Stamps - Saturated Canary: Teacups; Kitchen Sink Stamps: 3 Step Daisy;
Ink - Memento: Tuxedo Black;
Color - Copics; Dr Ph Marten's Bombay India Ink: white;
Accessories - Glossy Accents; stickles; rhinestones; pearl.


1 comment:

Maria said...

Kristen -

I just stumbled across your site … your Alice is a work of art … all of it down to the pearl! So breathtaking, I just had to leave a comment!